SUB-ADVISORY AGREEMENT JANUS INTERNATIONAL EQUITY FUND (a Series of Janus Investment Fund)
JANUS INTERNATIONAL EQUITY FUND
(a Series of Janus Investment Fund)
(a Series of Janus Investment Fund)
This SUB-ADVISORY AGREEMENT (the “Agreement”) is entered into effective as of December 21, 2012, as amended March 14, 2013, and further amended May 7, 2014 by and between JANUS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LLC, a Delaware limited liability company (“Janus”) and JANUS CAPITAL SINGAPORE PTE. LIMITED (“Janus Singapore”).
WHEREAS, Janus has entered into an Investment Advisory Agreement (the “Advisory Agreement”) with Janus Investment Fund, a Massachusetts business trust (the “Trust”) and an open-end, management investment company registered under the Investment Company Act of 1940, as amended (the “1940 Act”), with respect to Janus International Equity Fund, a series of the Trust (the “Fund”) pursuant to which Janus has agreed to provide investment advisory services with respect to the Fund; and
WHEREAS, Janus Singapore is engaged in the business of rendering investment advisory services and is registered as an investment adviser under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, as amended (the “Advisers Act”); and
WHEREAS, Janus desires, from time to time, to retain Janus Singapore to furnish investment advisory services with respect to the Fund, and Janus Singapore is willing to furnish such services;
NOW THEREFORE, for good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, the parties agree as follows:
1. Duties of Janus Singapore. Janus hereby engages the services of Janus Singapore as subadviser in furtherance of the Advisory Agreement. If and to the extent requested by Janus, Janus Singapore agrees to perform the following duties, subject to the oversight of Janus and to the overall control of the officers and the Board of Trustees (the “Trustees”) of the Trust:
(a) Janus Singapore shall manage all or a portion of the investment operations of the Fund and the composition of its investment portfolio entrusted to it hereunder, shall determine without prior consultation with the Trust or Janus, what securities and other assets of the Fund will be acquired, held, disposed of or loaned, and place orders, or direct Janus to place orders, for the purchase or sale of such securities or other assets with brokers, dealers or others, all in conformity with the investment objectives, policies and restrictions and the other statements concerning the Fund in the Trust’s trust instrument, as amended from time to time (the “Trust Instrument”), bylaws and registration statements under the 1940 Act and the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the “1933 Act”), the Advisers Act, the rules thereunder and all other applicable federal and state laws and regulations, and the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the “Code”), applicable to the Trust, on behalf of the Fund, as a regulated investment company;
(b) Janus Singapore shall cause its officers to attend meetings and furnish oral or written reports, as the Trust or Janus may reasonably require, in order to keep Janus, the
Trustees and appropriate officers of the Trust fully informed as to the condition of the investment portfolio of the Fund, the investment decisions of Janus Singapore, and the investment considerations which have given rise to those decisions;
(c) Janus Singapore shall maintain all books and records required to be maintained by Janus Singapore pursuant to the 1940 Act, the Advisers Act, and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, as the same may be amended from time to time, with respect to transactions on behalf of the Fund, and shall furnish the Trustees and Janus with such periodic and special reports as the Trustees or Janus reasonably may request. Janus Singapore hereby agrees that all records which it maintains for the Fund or the Trust are the property of the Trust, agrees to permit the reasonable inspection thereof by the Trust or its designees and agrees to preserve for the periods prescribed under the 1940 Act and the Advisers Act any records which it maintains for the Trust and which are required to be maintained under the 1940 Act and the Advisers Act, and further agrees to surrender promptly to the Trust or its designees any records which it maintains for the Trust upon request by the Trust;
(d) Janus Singapore shall submit such reports relating to the valuation of the Fund’s assets and to otherwise assist in the calculation of the net asset value of shares of the Fund as may reasonably be requested;
(e) Janus Singapore shall exercise, and/or provide Janus with such assistance and advice as Janus may reasonably request as to the manner in which to exercise, on behalf of the Fund, exercise such voting rights, subscription rights, rights to consent to corporate action and any other rights pertaining to the Fund’s assets that may be exercised, in accordance with any policy pertaining to the same that may be adopted or agreed to by the Trustees of the Trust, so that Janus may exercise such rights, or, in the event that the Trust retains the right to exercise such voting and other rights, to furnish the Trust with advice as may reasonably be requested as to the manner in which such rights should be exercised;
(f) At such times as shall be reasonably requested by the Trustees or Janus, Janus Singapore shall provide the Trustees and Janus with economic, operational and investment data and reports, including without limitation all information and materials reasonably requested by or requested to be delivered to the Trustees of the Trust pursuant to Section 15(c) of the 1940 Act, and shall make available to the Trustees and Janus any economic, statistical and investment services normally available to similar investment company clients of Janus Singapore; and
(g) Janus Singapore will provide to Janus for regulatory filings and other appropriate uses materially accurate and complete information relating to Janus Singapore as may be reasonably requested by Janus from time to time and, notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, Janus Singapore shall be liable to Janus for all damages, costs and expenses, including without limitation reasonable attorney’s fees (hereinafter referred to collectively as “Damages”), incurred by Janus as a result of any material inaccuracies or omissions in such information provided by Janus Singapore to Janus, provided, however, that Janus Singapore shall not be liable to the extent that any Damages are based upon inaccuracies or omissions made in reliance upon information furnished to Janus Singapore by Janus.
2. Further Obligations. In all matters relating to the performance of this Agreement, Janus Singapore shall act in conformity with the Trust’s Trust Instrument, bylaws and currently effective registration statements under the 1940 Act and the 1933 Act and any amendments or supplements thereto (the “Registration Statements”) and with the written policies, procedures and guidelines of the Fund, and written instructions and directions of the Trustees and Janus and shall comply with the requirements of the 1940 Act, the Advisers Act, the rules thereunder, and all other applicable federal and state laws and regulations. Janus agrees to provide to Janus Singapore copies of the Trust’s Trust Instrument, bylaws, Registration Statement, written policies, procedures and guidelines and written instructions and directions of the Trustees and Janus, and any amendments or supplements to any of them at, or, if practicable, before the time such materials become effective.
3. Obligations of Janus. Janus shall have the following obligations under this Agreement:
(a) To keep Janus Singapore continuously and fully informed (or cause the custodian of the Fund’s assets to keep Janus Singapore so informed) as to the composition of the investment portfolio of the Fund and the nature of all of the Fund’s assets and liabilities from time to time;
(b) At Janus Singapore’s request, to furnish Janus Singapore with a certified copy of any financial statement or report prepared for the Fund by certified or independent public accountants and with copies of any financial statements or reports made to the Fund’s shareholders or to any governmental body or securities exchange;
(c) To furnish Janus Singapore with any further materials or information which Janus Singapore may reasonably request to enable it to perform its function under this Agreement; and
(d) To compensate Janus Singapore for its services in accordance with the provisions of Section 4 hereof.
4. Compensation. To the extent and only for the period(s) that Janus Singapore provides services pursuant to this Agreement, Janus shall pay to Janus Singapore for its services under this Agreement a fee equal to one third of the advisory fee payable to Janus from the Fund (net of any performance fee adjustment, reimbursement of expenses incurred or fees waived by Janus). Fees paid to Janus Singapore shall be computed and accrued daily and payable monthly as of the last day of each month during which or part of which Janus Singapore is providing services and this Agreement is in effect. For the month during which this Agreement becomes effective, the month during which it terminates, and any partial month for which Janus Singapore provides services pursuant to this Agreement, however, there shall be an appropriate proration of the fee payable for such month based on the number of calendar days of such month during which Janus Singapore is providing services and this Agreement is effective.
5. Expenses. Janus Singapore shall pay all its own costs and expenses incurred in rendering its service under this Agreement.
6. Representations of Janus Singapore. Janus Singapore hereby represents, warrants and covenants to Janus as follows:
(a) Janus Singapore: (i) is registered as an investment adviser under the Advisers Act and will continue to be so registered for so long as this Agreement remains in effect; (ii) is not prohibited by the 1940 Act or the Advisers Act from performing the services contemplated by this Agreement; (iii) has met, and will continue to meet for so long as this Agreement remains in effect, any other applicable federal or state requirements, or the applicable requirements of any regulatory or industry self-regulatory organization necessary to be met in order to perform the services contemplated by this Agreement; (iv) has the legal and corporate authority to enter into and perform the services contemplated by this Agreement; and (v) will immediately notify Janus of the occurrence of any event that would disqualify Janus Singapore from serving as an investment adviser of an investment company pursuant to Section 9(a) of the 1940 Act or otherwise, and of the institution of any administrative, regulatory or judicial proceeding against Janus Singapore that could have a material adverse effect upon Janus Singapore’ ability to fulfill its obligations under this Agreement.
(b) Janus Singapore has adopted a written code of ethics complying with the requirements of Rule 17j-1 under the 1940 Act and, to the extent it is a separate Code of Ethics from that of Janus, will provide Janus with a copy of such code of ethics, together with evidence of its adoption, and any material changes thereto. Within 45 days after the end of the last calendar quarter of each year that this Agreement is in effect, a director of Janus Singapore shall certify to Janus that Janus Singapore has complied with the requirements of Rule 17j-1 during the previous year and that there has been no violation of Janus Singapore’ code of ethics or, if such a violation has occurred, that appropriate action was taken in response to such violation. Upon the written request of Janus, Janus Singapore shall permit Janus, its employees or its agents to examine the reports required to be made to Janus Singapore by Rule 17j-1(c)(1) and all other records relevant to Janus Singapore’ code of ethics.
(c) Janus Singapore has provided Janus with a copy of its Form ADV as most recently filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) and will, promptly after filing any amendment to its Form ADV with the SEC, furnish a copy of such amendment to Janus.
7. Term. This Agreement shall become effective as of the date first set forth above and shall continue in effect until February 1, 2014, unless sooner terminated in accordance with its terms, and shall continue in effect from year to year thereafter only so long as such continuance is specifically approved at least annually by (a) the vote of a majority of the Trustees of the Trust who are not parties hereto or interested persons of the Trust, Janus or Janus Singapore, cast in person at a meeting called for the purpose of voting on the approval of the terms of such renewal, and (b) either the Trustees of the Trust or the affirmative vote of a majority of the outstanding voting securities of the Fund. The annual approvals provided for herein shall be effective to continue this Agreement from year to year if given within a period beginning not more than ninety (90) days prior to February 1 of each applicable year, notwithstanding the fact that more than three hundred sixty-five (365) days may have elapsed since the date on which such approval was last given.
8. Termination. This Agreement may be terminated at any time, without penalty, by the Trustees or by the shareholders of the Fund acting by vote of at least a majority of its outstanding voting securities, provided in any such case that 60 days’ advance written notice of termination be given to Janus Singapore at its principal place of business. This Agreement may be terminated (i) by Janus at any time, without penalty by giving 60 days’ advance written notice of termination to Janus Singapore; (ii) by Janus Singapore at any time, without penalty by giving 90 days’ advance notice to Janus and the Trust, unless Janus or the Trust requests additional time to find a replacement for Janus Singapore, in which case Janus Singapore shall allow the additional time requested by Janus or the Trust not to exceed 90 days’ beyond the initial 90 days’ notice period unless otherwise agreed to by Janus, the Trust and Janus Singapore; or (iii) by Janus or the Trust without advance notice if Janus Singapore becomes unable to discharge its duties and obligations under this Agreement. In addition, this Agreement shall terminate, without penalty, upon the termination of the Advisory Agreement.
9. Assignment. This Agreement shall automatically terminate in the event of its assignment.
10. Amendments. This Agreement may be amended by the parties only in a written instrument signed by the parties to this Agreement and only if such amendment is specifically approved (i) by a majority of the Trustees, including a majority of the Trustees who are not interested persons (as that phrase is defined in Section 2(a)(19) of the 0000 Xxx) of the Trust or Janus, Janus Singapore or their affiliates, and (ii) if required by applicable law, by the affirmative vote of a majority of the outstanding voting securities of the Fund (as that phrase is defined in Section 2(a)(42) of the 1940 Act).
11. Limitation on Personal Liability. All parties to this Agreement acknowledge and agree that the Trust is a series trust and all debts, liabilities, obligations and expenses incurred, contracted for or otherwise existing with respect to a particular series shall be enforceable against the assets held with respect to such series only, and not against the assets of the Trust generally or against the assets held with respect to any other series and further that no Trustee, officer or holder of shares of beneficial interest of the Trust shall be personally liable for any of the foregoing.
12. Limitation of Liability of Janus Singapore. Janus will not seek to hold Janus Singapore, and Janus Singapore shall not be, liable for any error of judgment or mistake of law or for any loss arising out of any investment or for any act or omission taken with respect to the Fund, except for willful misfeasance, bad faith or gross negligence in the performance of its duties, or by reason of reckless disregard of its obligations and duties hereunder and except to the extent otherwise provided by law. As used in this section, “Janus Singapore” shall include any affiliate of Janus Singapore performing services for the Fund contemplated hereunder and directors, officers and employees of Janus Singapore and such affiliates.
13. Activities of Janus Singapore. The services of Janus Singapore hereunder are not to be deemed to be exclusive, and Janus Singapore is free to render services to other parties, so long as its services under this Agreement are not materially adversely affected or otherwise impaired thereby. Nothing in this Agreement shall limit or restrict the right of any director, officer or employee of Janus Singapore to engage in any other business or to devote his or her
time and attention in part to the management or other aspects of any other business, whether of a similar or a dissimilar nature. It is understood that Trustees, officers and shareholders of the Trust are or may become interested in Janus Singapore as directors, officers and shareholders of Janus Singapore, that directors, officers, employees and shareholders of Janus Singapore are or may become similarly interested in the Trust, and that Janus Singapore may become interested in the Trust as a shareholder or otherwise.
14. Third Party Beneficiary. The parties expressly acknowledge and agree that the Trust is a third party beneficiary of this Agreement and that the Trust shall have the full right to xxx upon and enforce this Agreement in accordance with its terms as if it were a signatory hereto. Any oversight, monitoring or evaluation of the activities of Janus Singapore by Janus, the Trust or the Fund shall not diminish or relieve in any way the liability of Janus Singapore for any of its duties and responsibilities under this Agreement.
15. Notices. Any notice or other communication required to be given pursuant to this Agreement shall be deemed duly given if delivered personally or by overnight delivery service or mailed by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested and postage prepaid, or sent by facsimile addressed to the parties at their respective addresses set forth below, or at such other address as shall be designated by any party in a written notice to the other party.
|(a)||To Janus at:|
|Janus Capital Management LLC
000 Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx
Xxxxxx, Xxxxxxxx 00000
Attention: General Counsel
Phone: (000) 000-0000
Fax: (000) 000-0000
|(b)||To Janus Singapore at:|
|Janus Capital Singapore Pte. Limited
0 Xxxxxxx Xxx
#00-00 XXX Xxxxx
Attention: Legal Department
|(c)||To the Trust at:|
|Janus Investment Fund
000 Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx
Xxxxxx, Xxxxxxxx 00000
Attention: Chief Legal Counsel
Phone: (000) 000-0000
Fax: (000) 000-0000
16. Certain Definitions. The terms “vote of a majority of the outstanding voting securities,” “assignment,” “approved at least annually,” and “interested persons” shall have the respective meanings specified in the 1940 Act, as now in effect or hereafter amended, and the rules and regulations thereunder, subject to such orders, exemptions and interpretations as may be issued by the SEC under the 1940 Act and as may be then in effect.
17. Governing Law. This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Colorado (without giving effect to the conflicts of laws principles thereof) and the 1940 Act. To the extent that the applicable laws of the State of Colorado conflict with the applicable provisions of the 1940 Act, the latter shall control.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have caused this Agreement to be executed by their duly authorized officers designated below as of the day and year first above written.
|JANUS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LLC|
|By:||/s/ Xxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxx-Xxxxxx
|JANUS CAPITAL SINGAPORE PTE. LIMITED|
|By:||/s/ Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx