2000 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
Unless otherwise defined herein, the terms defined in the Plan shall have the same defined meanings in this Stock Option Agreement.
|I.||NOTICE OF STOCK OPTION GRANT|
You (Optionee) have been granted an option to purchase Common Stock of the Company, subject to the terms and conditions of the Plan and this Stock Option Agreement. The terms of your grant are set forth below:
Date of Grant:
Vesting Commencement Date:
Exercise Price per Share:
|$________ per share|
Total Number of Shares Granted:
Total Exercise Price:
Type of Option:
|___ Incentive Stock Option|
|___ Non-Qualified Stock Option|
|This Option may be exercised for ninety (90) days after Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider, or such longer period as may be applicable upon the death or disability of Optionee as provided herein, (or, if not provided herein, then as provided in the Plan), but in no event later than the Term/Expiration Date as provided above.|
1. Grant of Option. The Company hereby grants to the Optionee an Option to purchase the Common Stock (the Shares) set forth in the Notice of Grant, at the exercise price per share set forth in the Notice of Grant (the Exercise Price). Notwithstanding anything to the contrary anywhere else in this Option Agreement, this grant of an Option is subject to the terms, definitions and provisions of the VNUS Medical Technologies, Inc. 2000 Equity Incentive Plan (the Plan) adopted by the Company, which is incorporated herein by reference.
If designated in the Notice of Grant as an Incentive Stock Option, this Option is intended to qualify as an Incentive Stock Option as defined in Section 422 of the Code; provided, however, that to the extent that the aggregate Fair Market Value of stock with respect to which Incentive Stock Options (within the meaning of Code Section 422, but without regard to Code Section 422(d)), including the Option, are exercisable for the first time by the Optionee during any calendar year (under the Plan and all other incentive stock option plans of the Company or any Subsidiary) exceeds $100,000, such options shall be treated as not qualifying under Code Section 422, but rather shall be treated as Non-Qualified Stock Options to the extent required by Code Section 422. The rule set forth in the preceding sentence shall be applied by taking options into account in the order in which they were granted. For purposes of these rules, the Fair Market Value of stock shall be determined as of the time the option with respect to such stock is granted.
2. Exercise of Option. This Option is exercisable as follows:
(a) Right to Exercise.
(i) This Option shall be exercisable cumulatively according to the vesting schedule set out in the Notice of Grant.
(ii) This Option may not be exercised for a fraction of a Share.
(iii) In the event of Optionees death, disability or other termination of the Optionees status as a Service Provider, the exercisability of the Option is governed by Sections 6, 7 and 8 below.
(iv) In no event may this Option be exercised after the date of expiration of the term of this Option as set forth in the Notice of Grant.
(b) Method of Exercise. This Option shall be exercisable by written Notice (in the form attached as Exhibit A). The Notice must state the number of Shares for which the Option is being exercised, and such other representations and agreements with respect to such shares of Common Stock as may be required by the Company pursuant to the provisions of the Plan. The Notice must be signed by the Optionee and, as applicable, shall be delivered in person or by certified mail to the Secretary of the Company. This Option shall be deemed to be exercised upon receipt by the Company of such written Notice and, as applicable, accompanied by the Exercise Price and payment of any applicable withholding tax.
No Shares shall be issued pursuant to the exercise of an Option unless such issuance and such exercise comply with all relevant provisions of law and the requirements of any stock exchange upon which the Shares may then be listed. Assuming such compliance, for income tax purposes the Shares shall be considered transferred to the Optionee on the date on which the Option is exercised with respect to such Shares.
3. Optionees Representations. If the Shares purchasable pursuant to the exercise of this Option have not been registered under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act), at the time this Option is exercised, Optionee shall, if required by the Company, concurrently with the exercise of all or any portion of this Option, deliver to the Company his or her representation and agreement, in such form as is prescribed by the Company, stating that the Shares are being acquired for the Optionees own account, for investment and without any present intention of distributing or reselling said shares or any of them except as may be permitted under the Securities Act, and then applicable rules and regulations thereunder, and that the Optionee or other person then entitled to exercise such Option or portion thereof will indemnify the Company against and hold it free and harmless from any loss, damage, expense or liability resulting to the Company if any sale or distribution of the Shares by the Optionee is contrary to the representation and agreement referred to above. The Company may, in its absolute discretion, take whatever additional actions it deems appropriate to
ensure the observance and performance of such representation and agreement and to effect compliance with the Securities Act and any other federal or state securities laws or regulations. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Company may require an opinion of counsel acceptable to it to the effect that any subsequent transfer of shares acquired on an Option exercise does not violate the Securities Act, and may issue stop-transfer orders covering such shares. Share certificates evidencing Shares issued on exercise of the Option shall bear an appropriate legend referring to the provisions of this Section 3 and the agreements herein.
4. Method of Payment. Payment of the Exercise Price shall be by any of the following, or a combination thereof, at the election of the Optionee:
(c) if permitted by applicable law and approved by the Administrator, with Common Stock of the Company, duly endorsed for transfer to the Company, already owned by the Optionee (or by the Optionee and his spouse jointly) for at least six (6) months prior to the tender thereof and not used for another such exercise during such six (6) month period, having a total fair market value on the date of such exercise of the Option, equal to the Exercise Price of such Shares as to which the Option is being exercised;
(d) if permitted by applicable law, in accordance with a cashless exercise or broker-assisted exercise procedure approved by the Administrator permitting the Optionee to authorize a broker or dealer to sell a sufficient portion of Shares that may be acquired upon exercise of the Option and pay to the Company in cash a portion of the sale proceeds equal to such purchase price of the Shares of Common Stock of the Company for which the Option is so exercised and any taxes required to be paid as a result of such exercise; or
(e) in a combination of the consideration provided for in the foregoing clauses (a) through (d).
5. Restrictions on Exercise. This Option may not be exercised until the Plan has been approved by the stockholders of the Company. If the issuance of Shares upon such exercise or if the method of payment for such shares would constitute a violation of any applicable federal or state securities or other law or regulation, then the Option may also not be exercised. The Company may require Optionee to make any representation and warranty to the Company as may be required by any applicable law or regulation before allowing the Option to be exercised.
6. Termination of Relationship. If Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider (other than by reason of the Optionees death or the total and permanent disability of the Optionee as defined in Code Section 22(e)(3)), Optionee may exercise this Option during the Termination Period set out in the Notice of Grant, to the extent the Option was vested at the date on which Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider. To the extent that the Option is not vested at the date on which Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider, or if Optionee does not exercise this Option within the time specified herein, the Option shall terminate.
7. Disability of Optionee. If Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider as a result of his or her total and permanent disability as defined in Code Section 22(e)(3), Optionee may exercise the Option to the extent the Option was vested at the date on which Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider, but only within twelve (12) months from such date (and in no event later than the expiration date of the term of this Option as set forth in the Notice of Grant). To the extent that the Option is not vested at the date on which the Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider, or if Optionee does not exercise such Option within the time specified herein, the Option shall terminate.
8. Death of Optionee. If Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider as a result of the death of Optionee, the vested portion of the Option may be exercised at any time within twelve (12) months following the date of death (and in no event later than the expiration date of the term of this Option as set forth in the Notice of Grant) by Optionees estate or by a person who acquires the right to exercise the Option by bequest or inheritance. To the extent that the Option is not vested at the date of death, or if the Option is not exercised within the time specified herein, the Option shall terminate.
9. Non-Transferability of Option. This Option may not be transferred in any manner except by will or by the laws of descent or distribution. It may be exercised during the lifetime of Optionee only by Optionee. The terms of this Option shall be binding upon the executors, administrators, heirs, successors and assigns of the Optionee.
10. Term of Option. This Option may be exercised only within the term set out in the Notice of Grant.
11. Notice of Disqualifying Disposition of Incentive Stock Option Shares. If the Option granted to Optionee herein is an Incentive Stock Option, and if Optionee sells or otherwise disposes of any of the Shares acquired pursuant to
the Incentive Stock Option on or before the later of (1) the date which is two (2) years after the Date of Grant, or (2) the date which is one year after the date of exercise, the Optionee shall immediately notify the Company in writing of such disposition. Optionee agrees that Optionee may be subject to income tax withholding by the Company on the compensation income recognized by the Optionee.
12. Restrictions on Shares. Optionee hereby agrees that Shares purchased upon the exercise of the Option shall be subject to such terms and conditions as the Administrator shall determine in its sole discretion, including, without limitation, restrictions on the transferability of Shares. Such terms and conditions may, in the Administrators sole discretion, be contained in the Exercise Notice with respect to the Option or in such other agreement as the Administrator shall determine and which the Optionee hereby agrees to enter into at the request of the Company.
This Agreement may be executed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original and all of which shall constitute one document.
Name: Brian E. Farley
Title: President & Chief Executive Officer
OPTIONEE ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THE VESTING OF SHARES PURSUANT TO THE OPTION HEREOF IS EARNED ONLY BY CONTINUING CONSULTANCY OR EMPLOYMENT AT THE WILL OF THE COMPANY (NOT THROUGH THE ACT OF BEING HIRED, BEING GRANTED THIS OPTION OR ACQUIRING SHARES HEREUNDER). OPTIONEE FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT NOTHING IN THIS AGREEMENT, NOR IN THE COMPANYS 2000 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN WHICH IS INCORPORATED HEREIN BY REFERENCE, SHALL CONFER UPON OPTIONEE ANY RIGHT WITH RESPECT TO CONTINUATION OF EMPLOYMENT OR CONSULTANCY BY THE COMPANY, NOR SHALL IT INTERFERE IN ANY WAY WITH OPTIONEES RIGHT OR THE COMPANYS RIGHT TO TERMINATE OPTIONEES EMPLOYMENT OR CONSULTANCY AT ANY TIME, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE
Optionee acknowledges receipt of a copy of the Plan and represents that he is familiar with the terms and provisions thereof. Optionee hereby accepts this Option subject to all of the terms and provisions hereof. Optionee has reviewed the Plan and this Option in their entirety, has had an opportunity to obtain the advice of counsel prior to executing this Option and fully understands all provisions of the Option. Optionee hereby agrees to accept as binding, conclusive and final all decisions or interpretations of the Administrator upon any questions arising under the Plan or this Option. Optionee further agrees to notify the Company upon any change in the residence address indicated below.
2000 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
Attention: Sr. Manager, Human Resources
1. Exercise of Option. Effective as of today, ___, ___, the undersigned (Optionee) hereby elects to exercise Optionees option to purchase ___shares of the Common Stock (the Shares) of VNUS Medical Technologies, Inc. (the Company) under and pursuant to the VNUS Medical Technologies, Inc. 2000 Equity Incentive Plan (the Plan) and the [ ] Incentive [ ] Non-Qualified Stock Option Agreement dated ___, ___, (the Option Agreement).
2. Representations of Optionee. Optionee acknowledges that Optionee has received, read and understood the Plan and the Option Agreement. Optionee agrees to abide by and be bound by their terms and conditions.
3. Rights as Stockholder. Until the stock certificate evidencing such Shares is issued (as evidenced by the appropriate entry on the books of the Company or of a duly authorized transfer agent of the Company), no right to vote or receive dividends or any other rights as a stockholder shall exist with respect to Shares subject to the Option, notwithstanding the exercise of the Option. The Company shall issue (or cause to be issued) such stock certificate promptly after the Option is exercised. No adjustment will be made for a dividend or other right for which the record date is prior to the date the stock certificate is issued, except as provided in Section 15 of the Plan.
Optionee shall enjoy rights as a stockholder until such time as Optionee disposes of the Shares.
4. Tax Consultation. Optionee understands that Optionee may suffer adverse tax consequences as a result of Optionees purchase or disposition of the Shares. Optionee represents that Optionee has consulted with any tax consultants Optionee deems advisable in connection with the purchase or disposition of the Shares and that Optionee is not relying on the Company for any tax advice.
5. Restrictive Legends and Stop-Transfer Orders.
(a) Legends. Optionee understands and agrees that the Company shall cause any legends that may be required by state or federal securities laws to be
placed upon any certificate(s) evidencing ownership of the Shares and that, in order to comply with any restrictions under the Stock Option Agreement, this Agreement or under state or federal securities laws, the Company may issue appropriate stop transfer instructions to its transfer agent, if any, and that, if the Company transfers its own securities, it may make appropriate notations to the same effect in its own records.
(b) Refusal to Transfer. The Company shall not be required (i) to transfer on its books any Shares that have been sold or otherwise transferred in violation of any of the provisions of this Agreement or (ii) to treat as owner of such Shares or to accord the right to vote or pay dividends to any purchaser or other transferee to whom such Shares shall have been so transferred.
6. Successors and Assigns. The Company may assign any of its rights under this Agreement to single or multiple assignees, and this Agreement shall inure to the benefit of the successors and assigns of the Company. Subject to the restrictions on transfer herein set forth, this Agreement shall be binding upon Optionee and his or her heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns.
7. Interpretation. Any dispute regarding the interpretation of this Agreement shall be submitted by Optionee or by the Company forthwith to the Companys Board of Directors or committee thereof that is responsible for the administration of the Plan (the Administrator), which shall review such dispute at its next regular meeting. The resolution of such a dispute by the Administrator shall be final and binding on the Company and on Optionee.
8. Governing Law; Severability. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California excluding that body of law pertaining to conflicts of law. Should any provision of this Agreement be determined by a court of law to be illegal or unenforceable, the other provisions shall nevertheless remain effective and shall remain enforceable.
9. Notices. Any notice required or permitted hereunder shall be given in writing and shall be deemed effectively given upon personal delivery or upon deposit in the United States mail by certified mail, with postage and fees prepaid, addressed to the other party at its address as shown below beneath its signature, or to such other address as such party may designate in writing from time to time to the other party.
10. Further Instruments. The parties agree to execute such further instruments and to take such further action as may be reasonably necessary to carry out the purposes and intent of this Agreement.
11. Delivery of Payment. Optionee herewith delivers to the Company the full Exercise Price for the Shares, as well as any applicable withholding tax.
12. Entire Agreement. The Plan and Stock Option Agreement are incorporated herein by reference. This Agreement, the Plan and the Stock Option Agreement constitute the entire agreement of the parties and supersede in their entirety all prior undertakings and agreements of the Company and Optionee with respect to the subject matter hereof.
|Submitted by:||Accepted by:|
|OPTIONEE:||VNUS MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIES, INC.|
|Its: Sr. Manager, Human Resources|