THE OFFER AND SALE OF THESE SECURITIES AND THE SECURITIES ISSUABLE UPON EXERCISE OF THESE SECURITIES HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED (THE SECURITIES ACT), OR ANY APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS. THE SECURITIES MAY NOT BE OFFERED FOR SALE, SOLD, TRANSFERRED, ASSIGNED OR OTHERWISE DISPOSED OF IN THE ABSENCE OF (A) AN EFFECTIVE REGISTRATION STATEMENT FOR THE SECURITIES UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OR (B) AN AVAILABLE EXEMPTION FROM, OR IN A TRANSACTION NOT SUBJECT TO, THE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS OF THE SECURITIES ACT AND IN EACH CASE IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS OR BLUE SKY LAWS AS EVIDENCED BY A LEGAL OPINION OF COUNSEL REASONABLY SATISFACTORY TO THE COMPANY AND ITS TRANSFER AGENT. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, THE SECURITIES MAY BE PLEDGED IN CONNECTION WITH A BONA FIDE MARGIN ACCOUNT OR OTHER LOAN OR FINANCING ARRANGEMENT SECURED BY THE SECURITIES; PROVIDED THAT IN CONNECTION WITH ANY FORECLOSURE OR TRANSFER OF THE SECURITIES, THE TRANSFEROR SHALL COMPLY WITH THE PROVISIONS HEREIN, AND UPON FORECLOSURE OR TRANSFER OF THE SECURITIES, SUCH FORECLOSING PERSON OR TRANSFEREE SHALL COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS CONTAINED HEREIN.
Warrant No. 2016-
Original Issue Date: September 6, 2016
Smith Micro Software, Inc., a Delaware corporation (the Company), hereby certifies that, for value received, or its permitted registered assigns (the Holder), is entitled to purchase from the Company up to a total of 850,000 shares of common stock, $0.001 par value per share (the Common Stock), of the Company (each such share, a Warrant Share and all such shares, the Warrant Shares) at an exercise price per share equal to $2.74 per share (as adjusted from time to time as provided in Section 9 herein, the Exercise Price), at any time and from time to time on or after the date hereof (the Original Issue Date) and through and including 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on the five (5) year anniversary of the Original Issue Date (the Expiration Date), and subject to the following terms and conditions:
This Warrant is granted in connection with that certain Note and Warrant Purchase Agreement, dated September 2, 2016, by and among the Company and the Purchasers identified therein (the Purchase Agreement). This Warrant and the Warrant Shares issuable pursuant to this Warrant shall be deemed Registrable Securities for purposes of the Registration Rights Agreement.
1. Definitions. In addition to the terms defined elsewhere in this Warrant, capitalized terms that are not otherwise defined herein have the meanings given to such terms in the Purchase Agreement.
- 1 -
2. Registration of Warrants. The Company shall register this Warrant, upon records to be maintained by the Company for that purpose (the Warrant Register), in the name of the record Holder (which shall include the initial Holder or, as the case may be, any registered assignee to which this Warrant is permissibly assigned hereunder) from time to time. The Company may deem and treat the registered Holder of this Warrant as the absolute owner hereof for the purpose of any exercise hereof or any distribution to the Holder, and for all other purposes, absent actual notice to the contrary.
3. Registration of Transfers. Subject to compliance with all applicable securities laws, the Company shall register the transfer of all or any portion of this Warrant in the Warrant Register, upon surrender of this Warrant, with the Form of Assignment attached as Schedule 2 hereto duly completed and signed, to the Company at its address specified in the Purchase Agreement and (x) delivery, at the request of the Company, of an opinion of counsel reasonably satisfactory to the Company to the effect that the transfer of such portion of this Warrant may be made pursuant to an available exemption from the registration requirements of the Securities Act and all applicable state securities or blue sky laws and (y) delivery by the transferee of a written statement to the Company certifying that the transferee is an accredited investor as defined in Rule 501(a) under the Securities Act, to the Company at its address specified in the Purchase Agreement. Upon any such registration or transfer, a new Warrant to purchase Common Stock in substantially the form of this Warrant (any such new Warrant, a New Warrant) evidencing the portion of this Warrant so transferred shall be issued to the transferee, and a New Warrant evidencing the remaining portion of this Warrant not so transferred, if any, shall be issued to the transferring Holder. The acceptance of the New Warrant by the transferee thereof shall be deemed the acceptance by such transferee of all of the rights and obligations in respect of the New Warrant that the Holder has in respect of this Warrant. The Company shall prepare, issue and deliver at its own expense any New Warrant under this Section 3.
4. Exercise and Duration of Warrant.
(a) All or any part of this Warrant shall be exercisable by the registered Holder in any manner permitted by Section 10 of this Warrant at any time and from time to time on or after the Original Issue Date and through and including 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on the Expiration Date, subject to the conditions and restrictions contained in this Warrant. At 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on the Expiration Date, the portion of this Warrant not exercised prior thereto shall be and become void and of no value and this Warrant shall be terminated and no longer outstanding.
(b) The Holder may exercise this Warrant by delivering to the Company (i) an exercise notice, in the form attached as Schedule 1 hereto (the Exercise Notice), completed and duly signed, and (ii) payment of the Exercise Price for the number of Warrant Shares as to which this Warrant is being exercised (which may take the form of a cashless exercise if so indicated in the Exercise Notice and if a cashless exercise may occur at such time pursuant to Section 10 below). The date on which the Exercise Notice is delivered to the Company (as determined in accordance with the notice provisions hereof) is an Exercise Date. Within two (2) days on which the NASDAQ exchange is open for trading (a Trading Day) following the delivery of the Exercise Notice (the Payment Deadline), the Holder shall make payment with respect to the Exercise Price for the number of Warrant Shares as to which this Warrant is being
- 2 -
exercised; provided that the Companys obligations to deliver such Warrant Shares shall be delayed on a day-for-day basis each day after the Payment Deadline such payment of the Exercise Price is not paid. The Holder shall not be required to physically surrender this Warrant to the Company until the Holder has purchased all of the Warrant Shares available hereunder and the Warrant has been exercised in full, in which case, the Holder shall surrender this Warrant to the Company for cancellation within three (3) Trading Days of the date the final Exercise Notice is delivered to the Company. Execution and delivery of the Exercise Notice shall have the same effect as cancellation of the original Warrant and issuance of a New Warrant evidencing the right to purchase the remaining number of Warrant Shares, if any.
5. Delivery of Warrant Shares.
(a) Subject to Section 4(b), upon exercise of this Warrant, the Company shall promptly (but in no event later than 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on the second (2nd) Trading Day after the Exercise Date (or the third (3rd) Trading Day if the last of the Exercise Notice, the Exercise Price (if applicable) and opinion of counsel referred to below in this Section 5(a) (if applicable) is delivered after 5:00 P.M., New York City time, on the Exercise Date) (such time, the Delivery Deadline) issue or cause to be issued and cause to be delivered to or upon the written order of the Holder and in such name or names as the Holder may designate (provided that, if the Registration Statement is not effective and the Holder directs the Company to deliver a certificate for the Warrant Shares in a name other than that of the Holder or an Affiliate of the Holder, it shall deliver to the Company on the Exercise Date an opinion of counsel reasonably satisfactory to the Company to the effect that the issuance of such Warrant Shares in such other name may be made pursuant to an available exemption from the registration requirements of the Securities Act and all applicable state securities or blue sky laws), (i) a certificate for the Warrant Shares issuable upon such exercise, free of restrictive legends, or (ii) an electronic delivery of the Warrant Shares to the Holders account at the Depository Trust Company (DTC) or a similar organization, unless in the case of clause (i) and (ii) a registration statement covering the resale of the Warrant Shares and naming the Holder as a selling stockholder thereunder is not then effective or the Warrant Shares are not freely transferable without volume and manner of sale restrictions pursuant to Rule 144 under the Securities Act, in which case such Holder shall receive a certificate for the Warrant Shares issuable upon such exercise with appropriate restrictive legends. The Holder, or any Person permissibly so designated by the Holder to receive Warrant Shares, shall be deemed to have become the holder of record of such Warrant Shares as of the Exercise Date with respect thereto. If the Warrant Shares can be issued without restrictive legends, the Company shall, upon the written request of the Holder, use its best efforts to deliver, or cause to be delivered, Warrant Shares hereunder electronically through DTC or another established clearing corporation performing similar functions, if available. In the case of a dispute as to the determination of the Exercise Price or the arithmetic calculation of the Warrant Shares, the Company shall promptly issue to the Holder the number of Warrant Shares that are not disputed.
(b) If by the Delivery Deadline, the Company has failed to comply with Section 5(a), and if after such Delivery Deadline and prior to the receipt of such Warrant Shares, the Holder purchases (in an open market transaction) shares of Common Stock to deliver in satisfaction of a sale by the Holder of the Warrant Shares which the Holder anticipated receiving upon such
- 3 -
exercise (a Buy-In), then the Company shall, within three (3) Trading Days after the Company receives the Holders written request and in the Holders sole discretion, either:
(i) at the option of the Holder, reinstate the portion of the Warrant and equivalent number of Warrant Shares for which such exercise was not honored (in which case such exercise shall be deemed rescinded) or deliver to the Holder the number of shares of Common Stock that would have been issued had the Company timely complied with its exercise and delivery obligations hereunder; or
(ii) promptly honor its obligation to deliver to the Holder such Warrant Shares and pay cash to the Holder in an amount equal to the excess (if any) of Holders total purchase price (including brokerage commissions, if any, that are reasonably documented in Holders written request) for the shares of Common Stock so purchased in the Buy-In over the product of (A) the number of shares of Common Stock purchased in the Buy-In, times (B) the Closing Sale Price on the date the Warrant was exercised.
(c) To the extent permitted by law, the Companys obligations to issue and deliver Warrant Shares in accordance with the terms hereof are absolute and unconditional, irrespective of any action or inaction by the Holder to enforce the same, any waiver or consent with respect to any provision hereof, the recovery of any judgment against any Person or any action to enforce the same. Nothing herein shall limit the Holders right to pursue any other remedies available to it hereunder, at law or in equity, including, without limitation, a decree of specific performance and/or injunctive relief with respect to the Companys failure to timely deliver the Warrant Shares upon exercise of the Warrant as required pursuant to the terms hereof.
6. Charges, Taxes and Expenses. Issuance and delivery of the Warrant Shares upon exercise of this Warrant shall be made without charge to the Holder for any issue or transfer tax, transfer agent fee or other incidental tax or expense in respect of the issuance of the Warrant Shares, all of which taxes and expenses shall be paid by the Company; provided, however, that the Company shall not be required to pay any tax that may be payable in respect of any transfer involved in the registration of Warrant Shares or the Warrants in a name other than that of the Holder or an Affiliate thereof. The Holder shall be responsible for all other tax liabilities that may arise as a result of holding or transferring this Warrant or receiving Warrant Shares upon exercise hereof.
7. Replacement of Warrant. If this Warrant is mutilated, lost, stolen or destroyed, the Company shall issue or cause to be issued in exchange and substitution for and upon cancellation hereof, or in lieu of and substitution for this Warrant, a New Warrant, but only upon receipt of evidence reasonably satisfactory to the Company of such loss, theft or destruction (in such case) and, in each case, a customary and reasonable indemnity and surety bond, if requested by the Company.
8. [Intentionally Omitted].
9. Certain Adjustments. The Exercise Price and number of Warrant Shares issuable upon exercise of this Warrant are subject to adjustment from time to time as set forth in this Section 9.
- 4 -
(a) Stock Dividends and Splits. If the Company, at any time while this Warrant is outstanding, (i) pays a stock dividend on its Common Stock or otherwise makes a distribution on any class of capital stock that is payable in shares of Common Stock, (ii) subdivides its outstanding shares of Common Stock into a larger number of shares, or (iii) combines its outstanding shares of Common Stock into a smaller number of shares, then in each such case, the Exercise Price shall be multiplied by a fraction, the numerator of which shall be the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding immediately before such event and the denominator of which shall be the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding immediately after such event. Any adjustments made pursuant to clause (i) of this paragraph shall become effective immediately after the record date for the determination of stockholders entitled to receive such dividend or distribution, and any adjustment pursuant to clause (ii) or (iii) of this paragraph shall become effective immediately after the effective date of such subdivision or combination.
(b) Pro Rata Distributions. If the Company, at any time while this Warrant is outstanding, distributes to all holders of Common Stock for no consideration (i) evidences of its indebtedness, (ii) any security (other than a distribution of Common Stock covered by the preceding paragraph) or (iii) rights or Warrants to subscribe for or purchase any security, or (iv) any other asset, including cash dividends (in each case, Distributed Property), then, upon any exercise of this Warrant that occurs after the record date fixed for determination of stockholders entitled to receive such distribution, the Holder shall be entitled to receive, in addition to the Warrant Shares otherwise issuable upon such exercise (if applicable), the Distributed Property that such Holder would have been entitled to receive in respect of such number of Warrant Shares had the Holder been the record holder of such Warrant Shares immediately prior to such record date without regard to any limitation on exercise contained therein.
(c) Sales of Common Stock at less than the Exercise Price. From the date hereof until the end of the term of this Warrant, if the Company sells or issues shares of Common Stock at a price, or warrants, options, convertible debt or equity securities, excluding shares of Common Stock issued in connection with a merger, acquisition or consolidation, employee stock options, other stock awards pursuant to an employee benefit plan or arrangement, or equity securities issued in connection with standard non-convertible debt transactions, with an exercise price per share or a conversion price which is less than the Exercise Price then in effect (such securities, the Additional Securities), the Exercise Price shall be adjusted immediately thereafter so that the Exercise Price shall be multiplied by a fraction:
(i) the numerator of which shall be the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding immediately before such sale or issuance, plus the number of shares of Common Stock which the aggregate consideration received by the Company for the total number of Additional Securities would purchase at a price per share equal to the Exercise Price; and
(ii) the denominator of which shall be the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding immediately after such sale or issuance.
Such adjustment shall be made successively whenever such an issuance is made. An adjustment pursuant to this Section 9(c) shall not result in any change in the number of Common Stock issuable upon exercise of this Warrant.
- 5 -
(d) Fundamental Transactions.
(i) In the case of any Fundamental Transaction, upon any exercise of this Warrant occurring simultaneously with or subsequent to the closing of such Fundamental Transaction, the Holder shall have the right to receive, for each Warrant Share that would have been issuable upon such exercise immediately prior to the occurrence of such Fundamental Transaction, without regard to any limitation in Section 13 on the exercise of this Warrant, the number of shares of Common Stock of the successor or acquiring corporation or of the Company, if it is the surviving corporation, and any additional consideration (the Alternate Consideration) receivable as a result of such Fundamental Transaction by a holder of the number of shares of Common Stock for which this Warrant is exercisable immediately prior to such Fundamental Transaction (without regard to any limitation in Section 13 on the exercise of this Warrant). For purposes of any such exercise, the determination of the Exercise Price shall be appropriately adjusted to apply to such Alternate Consideration based on the amount of Alternate Consideration issuable in respect of one share of Common Stock in such Fundamental Transaction, and the Company shall apportion the Exercise Price among the Alternate Consideration in a reasonable manner reflecting the relative value of any different components of the Alternate Consideration. If holders of Common Stock are given any choice as to the securities, cash or property to be received in a Fundamental Transaction, then the Holder shall be given the same choice as to the Alternate Consideration it receives upon any exercise of this Warrant following such Fundamental Transaction. The Company shall cause any Successor Entity in a Fundamental Transaction in which the Company is not the survivor to assume in writing all of the obligations of the Company under this Warrant.
(ii) For purposes of this Section 9(d), the following definitions shall apply:
Fundamental Transaction means that (A) the Company shall, directly or indirectly, in one or more related transactions, (i) consolidate or merge with or into (whether or not the Company is the surviving corporation) another Person, or (ii) sell, assign, transfer, convey or otherwise dispose of all or substantially all of the properties or assets of the Company to another Person, or (iii) another Person completes a purchase, tender or exchange offer that is accepted by the holders of more than the 50% of the outstanding shares of Common Stock (not including any shares of Common Stock held by the Person or Persons making or party to, or associated or affiliated with the Persons making or party to, such purchase, tender or exchange offer), or (iv) consummate a stock purchase agreement or other business combination (including, without limitation, a reorganization, recapitalization, spin-off or scheme of arrangement) with another Person whereby such other Person acquires more than the 50% of the outstanding shares of Common Stock (not including any shares of Common Stock held by the other Person or other Persons making or party to, or associated or affiliated with the other Persons making or party to, such stock purchase agreement or other business combination), or (v) reorganize, recapitalize or reclassify its Common Stock (other than as a result of a subdivision or combination of shares of Common Stock covered by Section 9(a) above) or (B) any person or group (as these terms are used for purposes of Sections 13(d) and 14(d) of the Exchange Act) is or shall become the beneficial owner (as defined in Rule 13d-3 under the Exchange Act), directly or indirectly, of 50% of the aggregate ordinary voting power represented by issued and outstanding shares of Common Stock.
- 6 -
Parent Entity of a Person means an entity that, directly or indirectly, controls the applicable Person and whose common shares or common stock or equivalent equity security is quoted or listed on a trading market or stock exchange (a Principal Trading Market), or, if there is more than one such Person or Parent Entity, the Person or Parent Entity with the largest public market capitalization as of the date of consummation of the Fundamental Transaction.
Person means an individual, a limited liability company, a partnership, a joint venture, a corporation, a trust, an unincorporated organization, any other entity and a government or any department or agency thereof.
Successor Entity means, if applicable, the Person formed by, resulting from or surviving any Fundamental Transaction or, for the purposes of Section 9(d)(ii), the Person with which such Fundamental Transaction shall have been entered into.
(e) Number of Warrant Shares. Simultaneously with any adjustment to the Exercise Price pursuant to paragraph (a) of this Section 9, the number of Warrant Shares that may be purchased upon exercise of this Warrant shall be increased or decreased proportionately, so that after such adjustment the aggregate Exercise Price payable hereunder for the increased or decreased number of Warrant Shares shall be the same as the aggregate Exercise Price in effect immediately prior to such adjustment.
(f) Calculations. All calculations under this Section 9 shall be rounded down to the nearest whole cent or the nearest whole share, as applicable.
(g) Notice of Adjustments. Upon the occurrence of each adjustment pursuant to this Section 9, the Company at its expense will, at the written request of the Holder, promptly compute such adjustment, in good faith, in accordance with the terms of this Warrant and prepare a certificate setting forth such adjustment, including a statement of the adjusted Exercise Price and adjusted number or type of Warrant Shares or other securities issuable upon exercise of this Warrant (as applicable), describing the transactions giving rise to such adjustments and showing in detail the facts upon which such adjustment is based. Upon written request, the Company will promptly deliver a copy of each such certificate to the Holder and to the Companys transfer agent.
(h) Notice of Corporate Events. If, while this Warrant is outstanding, the Company (i) declares a dividend or any other distribution of cash, securities or other property in respect of its Common Stock, including, without limitation, any granting of rights or Warrants to subscribe for or purchase any capital stock of the Company, (ii) enters into any agreement contemplating or solicits stockholder approval for any Fundamental Transaction or (iii) authorizes the voluntary dissolution, liquidation or winding up of the affairs of the Company, then, except if such notice and the contents thereof shall be deemed to constitute material non-public information, the Company shall deliver to the Holder a notice of such transaction at least five (5) Trading Days prior to the applicable record or effective date on which a Person would need to hold Common Stock in order to participate in or vote with respect to such transaction; provided, however, that the failure to deliver such notice or any defect therein shall not affect the validity of the corporate action required to be described in such notice. To the extent that any notice provided hereunder constitutes, or contains, material, non-public information regarding the Company or any of its
- 7 -
subsidiaries, the Company shall simultaneously file such notice with the Commission pursuant to a Current Report on Form 8-K.
10. Payment of Exercise Price. The Holder may pay the Exercise Price in immediately available funds by wire transfer to an account designated by the Company or, alternatively, in its sole discretion, satisfy its obligation to pay the Exercise Price through a cashless exercise, in which event the Company shall issue to the Holder the number of Warrant Shares determined as follows:
X = Y [(A-B)/A]
X equals the number of Warrant Shares to be issued to the Holder;
Y equals the total number of Warrant Shares with respect to which this Warrant is being exercised;
A equals the arithmetic average of the Closing Sale Prices of the shares of Common Stock (as reported by Bloomberg Financial Markets) for the five (5) consecutive Trading Days ending on the date immediately preceding the Exercise Date (the Fair Market Value); and
B equals the Exercise Price then in effect for the applicable Warrant Shares at the time of such exercise.
For purposes of this Warrant, Closing Sale Price means, for any security as of any date, the last trade price for such security on the Principal Trading Market for such security, as reported by Bloomberg Financial Markets, or, if such Principal Trading Market begins to operate on an extended hours basis and does not designate the last trade price, then the last trade price of such security prior to 4:00 P.M., New York City time, as reported by Bloomberg Financial Markets, or if the foregoing do not apply, the last trade price of such security in the over-the-counter market on the electronic bulletin board for such security as reported by Bloomberg Financial Markets, or, if no last trade price is reported for such security by Bloomberg Financial Markets, the average of the bid prices, or the ask prices, respectively, of any market makers for such security as reported in the pink sheets by Pink Sheets LLC. If the Closing Sale Price cannot be calculated for a security on a particular date on any of the foregoing bases, the Closing Sale Price of such security on such date shall be the fair market value as determined in good faith by the Board of Directors of the Company. The Board of Directors determination shall be binding upon all parties absent demonstrable error. All such determinations shall be appropriately adjusted for any stock dividend, stock split, stock combination or other similar transaction during the applicable calculation period.
11. Registration Rights. The Holder of this Warrant is entitled to the benefit of certain registration rights with respect to the Warrant and the Warrant Shares issuable upon the exercise of this Warrant pursuant to the Registration Agreement, and the registration rights with respect to the Warrants and the Warrant Shares issuable upon the exercise of this Warrant by any
- 8 -
subsequent Holder may only be assigned in accordance with the terms and provisions of the Registration Agreement.
12. Rule 144. For purposes of Rule 144 promulgated under the Securities Act, it is intended, understood and acknowledged that the Warrant Shares issued in a cashless exercise transaction shall be deemed to have been acquired by the Holder, and the holding period for the Warrant Shares shall be deemed to have commenced, on the date this Warrant was originally issued pursuant to the Purchase Agreement (provided that the Commission continues to take the position that such treatment is proper at the time of such exercise).
13. [Intentionally Omitted]
13. Limitations on Exercise. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, the number of Warrant Shares that may be acquired by the Holder upon any exercise of this Warrant (or otherwise in respect hereof) shall be limited to the extent necessary to ensure that, following such exercise (or other issuance), the total number of shares of Common Stock then beneficially owned by the Holder and its Affiliates and any other Persons whose beneficial ownership of Common Stock would be aggregated with the Holders for purposes of Section 13(d) of the Exchange Act, does not exceed 9.99% (the Maximum Percentage) of the total number of then issued and outstanding shares of Common Stock (including for such purpose the shares of Common Stock issuable upon such exercise) unless Holder gives 61 days notice to the Company of its intention to exceed this 9.99% limit. For purposes of the foregoing sentence, the aggregate number of shares of Common Stock beneficially owned by the Holder and its affiliates shall include the number of shares of Common Stock issuable upon exercise of this Warrant with respect to which the determination of such sentence is being made, but shall exclude shares of Common Stock which would be issuable upon (i) exercise of the remaining, unexercised portion of this Warrant beneficially owned by such Person and its affiliates and (ii) exercise or conversion of the unexercised or unconverted portion of any other securities of the Company beneficially owned by the Holder and its affiliates (including, without limitation, any convertible notes or convertible preferred stock or Warrants) subject to a limitation on conversion or exercise analogous to the limitation contained herein; provided that in no event shall the aggregate number of shares beneficially owned by the Holder and its affiliates, calculated in accordance with Section 13(d) of the Exchange Act, exceed 9.99%. Except as set forth in the preceding sentence (other than the proviso thereto), for purposes of this paragraph (including the proviso in the immediately preceding sentence), beneficial ownership shall be calculated in accordance with Section 13(d) of the Exchange Act; it being acknowledged by the Holder that the Company is not representing to such Holder that such calculation is in compliance with Section 13(d) of the Exchange Act and such Holder is solely responsible for any schedules required to be filed in accordance therewith. To the extent that the limitation contained in this Section 13 applies, the determination of whether this Warrant is exercisable (in relation to other securities owned by such Holder) and of which a portion of this Warrant is exercisable shall be in the sole discretion of a Holder, and the submission of a Notice of Exercise shall be deemed to be the Holders determination of whether this Warrant is exercisable (in relation to other securities owned by such Holder) and of which portion of this Warrant is exercisable, in each case subject to such aggregate percentage limitation, and the Company shall have no obligation to verify or confirm
- 9 -
the accuracy of such determination. In addition, a determination as to any group status as contemplated above shall be determined in accordance with Section 13(d) of the Exchange Act and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder. For purposes of this Section 13, in determining the number of outstanding shares of Common Stock, the Holder may rely on the number of outstanding shares of Common Stock as reflected in (x) the Companys most recent Form 10-Q or Form 10-K, as the case may be, (y) a more recent public announcement by the Company or (z) any other notice by the Company or the Transfer Agent setting forth the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding. Upon the written request of the Holder, the Company shall within one (1) Trading Day confirm in writing to such Holder the number of shares of Common Stock then outstanding. In any case, the number of outstanding shares Common Stock shall be determined after giving effect to the conversion or exercise of securities of the Company, including the Warrants, by the Holder and its affiliates since the date as of which such number of outstanding shares of Common Stock was reported. The provisions of this paragraph shall be construed and implemented in a manner otherwise than in strict conformity with the terms of this Section 13 to correct this paragraph (or any portion hereof) which may be defective or inconsistent with the intended beneficial ownership limitation herein contained or to make changes or supplements necessary or desirable to properly give effect to such limitation.
14. No Fractional Shares. No fractional Warrant Shares will be issued in connection with any exercise of this Warrant. In lieu of any fractional shares that would otherwise be issuable, the number of Warrant Shares to be issued shall be rounded down to the next whole number and the Company shall pay the Holder in cash the fair market value (based on the Closing Sale Price) for any such fractional shares.
15. Notices. Any and all notices or other communications or deliveries hereunder (including, without limitation, any Exercise Notice) shall be in writing and shall be deemed given and effective on the earliest of (i) the date of transmission, if such notice or communication is delivered via facsimile at the facsimile number specified in the Purchase Agreement prior to 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on a Trading Day, (ii) the next Trading Day after the date of transmission, if such notice or communication is delivered via facsimile at the facsimile number specified in the Purchase Agreement on a day that is not a Trading Day or later than 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on any Trading Day, (iii) the Trading Day following the date of mailing, if sent by nationally recognized overnight courier service specifying next business day delivery, and (iv) upon actual receipt by the Person to whom such notice is required to be given, if by hand delivery. The address and facsimile number of a Person for such notices or communications shall be as set forth in the Purchase Agreement unless changed by such Person by three (3) Trading Days prior written notice to the other Persons in accordance with this Section 15.
16. Warrant Agent. The Company shall serve as Warrant agent under this Warrant. Upon fifteen (15) days notice to the Holder, the Company may appoint a new Warrant agent. Any corporation into which the Company or any new Warrant agent may be merged or any corporation resulting from any consolidation to which the Company or any new Warrant agent shall be a party or any corporation to which the Company or any new Warrant agent transfers substantially all of its corporate trust or shareholders services business shall be a successor Warrant agent under this Warrant without any further act. Any such successor Warrant agent shall promptly cause notice of its succession as Warrant agent to be mailed (by first class mail, postage prepaid) to the Holder at the Holders last address as shown on the Warrant Register.
- 10 -
(a) No Rights as a Stockholder. The Holder, solely in such Persons capacity as a holder of this Warrant, shall not be entitled to vote or receive dividends or be deemed the holder of share capital of the Company for any purpose, nor shall anything contained in this Warrant be construed to confer upon the Holder, solely in such Persons capacity as the Holder of this Warrant, any of the rights of a stockholder of the Company or any right to vote, give or withhold consent to any corporate action (whether any reorganization, issue of stock, reclassification of stock, consolidation, merger, amalgamation, conveyance or otherwise), receive notice of meetings, receive dividends or subscription rights, or otherwise, prior to the issuance to the Holder of the Warrant Shares which such Person is then entitled to receive upon the due exercise of this Warrant. In addition, nothing contained in this Warrant shall be construed as imposing any liabilities on the Holder to purchase any securities (except upon exercise of this Warrant) or as a stockholder of the Company, whether such liabilities are asserted by the Company or by creditors of the Company.
(b) Authorized Shares.
(i) The Company covenants that during the period the Warrant is outstanding, it will reserve from its authorized and unissued Common Stock a sufficient number of shares to provide for the issuance of the Warrant Shares upon the exercise of any purchase rights under this Warrant. The Company further covenants that its issuance of this Warrant shall constitute full authority to its officers who are charged with the duty of executing stock certificates to execute and issue the necessary certificates for the Warrant Shares upon the exercise of the purchase rights under this Warrant. The Company will take all reasonable actions as may be necessary to assure that such Warrant Shares may be issued as provided herein without violation of any applicable law or regulation, or of any requirements of the Trading Market upon which the Common Stock may be listed. The Company covenants that all Warrant Shares which may be issued upon the exercise of the purchase rights represented by this Warrant will, upon exercise of the purchase rights represented by this Warrant in accordance herewith, be duly authorized, validly issued, fully paid and nonassessable and free from all taxes, liens and charges created by the Company in respect of the issue thereof (other than taxes in respect of any transfer occurring contemporaneously with such issue).
(ii) Except and to the extent as waived or consented to by the Holder, the Company shall not by any action, including, without limitation, amending its certificate or articles of incorporation or through any reorganization, transfer of assets, consolidation, merger, dissolution, issue or sale of securities or any other voluntary action, avoid or seek to avoid the observance or performance of any of the terms of this Warrant, but will at all times in good faith assist in the carrying out of all such terms and in the taking of all such actions as may be necessary or appropriate to protect the rights of Holder as set forth in this Warrant against impairment. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Company will (a) not increase the par value of any Warrant Shares above the amount payable therefor upon such exercise immediately prior to such increase in par value, (b) take all such action as may be necessary or appropriate in order that the Company may validly and legally issue fully paid and nonassessable Warrant Shares upon the exercise of this Warrant, and (c) use reasonable best efforts to obtain all such authorizations, exemptions or consents from any public regulatory body having jurisdiction
- 11 -
thereof as may be necessary to enable the Company to perform its obligations under this Warrant.
(c) Successors and Assigns. Subject to the restrictions on transfer set forth in this Warrant, and compliance with applicable securities laws, this Warrant may be assigned by the Holder. This Warrant may not be assigned by the Company without the written consent of the Holder except to a Successor Entity in the event of a Fundamental Transaction. This Warrant shall be binding on and inure to the benefit of the Company and the Holder and their respective successors and permitted assigns. Subject to the preceding sentence, nothing in this Warrant shall be construed to give to any Person other than the Company and the Holder any legal or equitable right, remedy or cause of action under this Warrant.
(d) Amendment and Waiver. Except as otherwise provided herein, the provisions of the Warrants may be amended and the Company may take any action herein prohibited, or omit to perform any act herein required to be performed by it, only if the Company has obtained the written consent of the Holder of this Warrant.
(e) Acceptance. Receipt of this Warrant by the Holder shall constitute acceptance of and agreement to all of the terms and conditions contained herein.
(f) Governing Law; Jurisdiction. ALL QUESTIONS CONCERNING THE CONSTRUCTION, VALIDITY, ENFORCEMENT AND INTERPRETATION OF THIS WARRANT SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED AND ENFORCED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE WITHOUT REGARD TO THE PRINCIPLES OF CONFLICTS OF LAW THEREOF. EACH OF THE COMPANY AND THE HOLDER HEREBY IRREVOCABLY SUBMITS TO THE EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION OF THE DELAWARE COURT OF CHANCERY (OR, IF (BUT ONLY IF) THE DELAWARE COURT OF CHANCERY SHALL BE UNAVAILABLE, ANY OTHER COURT OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE OR ANY FEDERAL COURT SITTING IN THE STATE OF DELAWARE), FOR THE ADJUDICATION OF ANY DISPUTE HEREUNDER OR IN CONNECTION HEREWITH OR WITH ANY TRANSACTION CONTEMPLATED HEREBY OR DISCUSSED HEREIN (INCLUDING WITH RESPECT TO THE ENFORCEMENT OF ANY OF THE TRANSACTION DOCUMENTS), AND HEREBY IRREVOCABLY WAIVES, AND AGREES NOT TO ASSERT IN ANY SUIT, ACTION OR PROCEEDING, ANY CLAIM THAT IT IS NOT PERSONALLY SUBJECT TO THE JURISDICTION OF ANY SUCH COURT. EACH OF THE COMPANY AND THE HOLDER HEREBY IRREVOCABLY WAIVES PERSONAL SERVICE OF PROCESS AND CONSENTS TO PROCESS BEING SERVED IN ANY SUCH SUIT, ACTION OR PROCEEDING BY MAILING A COPY THEREOF VIA REGISTERED OR CERTIFIED MAIL OR OVERNIGHT DELIVERY (WITH EVIDENCE OF DELIVERY) TO SUCH PERSON AT THE ADDRESS IN EFFECT FOR NOTICES TO IT UNDER THE PURCHASE AGREEMENT AND AGREES THAT SUCH SERVICE SHALL CONSTITUTE GOOD AND SUFFICIENT SERVICE OF PROCESS AND NOTICE THEREOF. NOTHING CONTAINED HEREIN SHALL BE DEEMED TO LIMIT IN ANY WAY ANY RIGHT TO SERVE PROCESS IN ANY MANNER PERMITTED BY LAW. EACH OF THE COMPANY AND THE HOLDER HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO A TRIAL BY JURY.
- 12 -
(g) Headings. The headings herein are for convenience only, do not constitute a part of this Warrant and shall not be deemed to limit or affect any of the provisions hereof.
(h) Severability. In case any one or more of the provisions of this Warrant shall be invalid or unenforceable in any respect, the validity and enforceability of the remaining terms and provisions of this Warrant shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby, and the Company and the Holder will attempt in good faith to agree upon a valid and enforceable provision which shall be a reasonable substitute therefor, and upon so agreeing, shall incorporate such substitute provision in this Warrant.
[REMAINDER OF PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK]
- 13 -
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Company has caused this Warrant to be duly executed by its authorized officer as of the date first indicated above.
|SMITH MICRO SOFTWARE, INC.|
|Name:||Steven M. Yasbek|
|Title:||Chief Financial Officer|
[Signature Page to Warrant]
FORM OF EXERCISE NOTICE
[To be executed by the Holder to purchase shares of Common Stock under the Warrant]
Ladies and Gentlemen:
(1) The undersigned is the Holder of Warrant No. (the Warrant) issued by Smith Micro Software, Inc., a Delaware corporation (the Company). Capitalized terms used herein and not otherwise defined herein have the respective meanings set forth in the Warrant.
(2) The undersigned hereby exercises its right to purchase Warrant Shares pursuant to the Warrant.
(3) The Holder intends that payment of the Exercise Price shall be made as (check one):
|¨||Cashless Exercise under Section 10 of the Warrant|
(4) If the Holder has elected a Cash Exercise, the Holder shall pay the sum of $ in immediately available funds to the Company in accordance with the terms of the Warrant.
(5) Pursuant to this Exercise Notice, the Company shall deliver to the Holder Warrant Shares determined in accordance with the terms of the Warrant.
(6) By its delivery of this Exercise Notice, the undersigned represents and warrants to the Company that in giving effect to the exercise evidenced hereby the Holder will not beneficially own in excess of the number of shares of Common Stock (as determined in accordance with Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934) permitted to be owned under Section 13 of the Warrant to which this notice relates.
|Name of Holder:|
(Signature must conform in all respects to name of Holder as specified on the face of the Warrant)
[Signature Page to Warrant]
FORM OF ASSIGNMENT
[To be completed and executed by the Holder only upon transfer of the Warrant]
FOR VALUE RECEIVED, the undersigned hereby sells, assigns and transfers unto (the Transferee) the right represented by the within Warrant to purchase shares of Common Stock of Smith Micro Software, Inc. (the Company) to which the within Warrant relates and appoints attorney to transfer said right on the books of the Company with full power of substitution in the premises. In connection therewith, the undersigned represents, warrants, covenants and agrees to and with the Company that:
|(a)||the offer and sale of the Warrant contemplated hereby is being made in compliance with Section 4(a)(1) of the United States Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act) or another valid exemption from the registration requirements of Section 5 of the Securities Act and in compliance with all applicable securities laws of the states of the United States;|
|(b)||the undersigned has not offered to sell the Warrant by any form of general solicitation or general advertising, including, but not limited to, any advertisement, article, notice or other communication published in any newspaper, magazine or similar media or broadcast over television or radio, and any seminar or meeting whose attendees have been invited by any general solicitation or general advertising;|
|(c)||the undersigned has read the Transferees investment letter included herewith, and to its actual knowledge, the statements made therein are true and correct; and|
|(d)||the undersigned understands that the Company may condition the transfer of the Warrant contemplated hereby upon the delivery to the Company by the undersigned or the Transferee, as the case may be, of a written opinion of counsel (which opinion shall be in form, substance and scope customary for opinions of counsel in comparable transactions) to the effect that such transfer may be made without registration under the Securities Act and under applicable securities laws of the states of the United States.|
|Dated:||(Signature must conform in all respects to name of holder as specified on the face of the Warrant)|
|Address of Transferee|
In the presence of: