THIS WARRANT AND THE SHARES OF COMMON STOCK ISSUABLE UPON EXERCISE OF THIS WARRANT HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED, OR ANY STATE SECURITIES LAWS. THIS WARRANT AND THE COMMON STOCK ISSUABLE UPON EXERCISE OF THIS WARRANT MAY NOT BE SOLD, OFFERED FOR SALE, PLEDGED OR HYPOTHECATED IN THE ABSENCE OF AN EFFECTIVE REGISTRATION STATEMENT AS TO THIS WARRANT UNDER SAID ACT AND ANY APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS OR AN OPINION OF COUNSEL REASONABLY SATISFACTORY TO BIODELIVERY SCIENCES INTERNATIONAL, INC. THAT SUCH REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED.
Right to Purchase up to 62,887 Shares of Common Stock of
BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc.
(subject to adjustment as provided herein)
Issue Date: July 31, 2006
BIODELIVERY SCIENCES INTERNATIONAL, INC., a corporation organized under the laws of the State of Delaware (the Company), hereby certifies that, for value received, LAURUS MASTER FUND, LTD., or assigns (the Holder), is entitled, subject to the terms set forth below, to purchase from the Company (as defined herein) from and after the Issue Date of this Warrant and at any time or from time to time before 5:00 p.m., New York time, through the close of business July 31, 2013 (the Expiration Date), up to 62,887 fully paid and nonassessable shares of Common Stock (as hereinafter defined), $0.001 par value per share, at the applicable Exercise Price per share (as defined below). The number and character of such shares of Common Stock and the applicable Exercise Price per share are subject to adjustment as provided herein.
As used herein the following terms, unless the context otherwise requires, have the following respective meanings:
(a) The term Company shall include BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. and any corporation which shall succeed, or assume the obligations of, BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. hereunder.
(b) The term Common Stock includes (i) the Companys Common Stock, par value $0.001 per share; and (ii) any other securities into which or for which any of the securities described in the preceding clause (i) may be converted or exchanged pursuant to a plan of recapitalization, reorganization, merger, sale of assets or otherwise.
(c) The term Other Securities refers to any stock (other than Common Stock) and other securities of the Company or any other person (corporate or otherwise) which the holder of the Warrant at any time shall be entitled to receive, or shall have received, on the exercise of the Warrant, in lieu of or in addition to Common Stock, or which at any time shall be issuable or shall have been issued in exchange for or in replacement of Common Stock or Other Securities pursuant to Section 4 or otherwise.
(d) The Exercise Price applicable under this Warrant shall be a price of $3.00.
1. Exercise of Warrant.
1.1. Number of Shares Issuable upon Exercise. From and after the date hereof through and including the Expiration Date, the Holder shall be entitled to receive, upon exercise of this Warrant in whole or in part, by delivery of an original or fax copy of an exercise notice in the form attached hereto as Exhibit A (the Exercise Notice), shares of Common Stock of the Company, subject to adjustment pursuant to Section 4.
1.2. Fair Market Value. For purposes hereof, the Fair Market Value of a share of Common Stock as of a particular date (the Determination Date) shall mean:
(a) If the Companys Common Stock is traded on the American Stock Exchange or another national exchange or is quoted on the National or Capital Market of The Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc. (Nasdaq), then the average closing or last sale price, respectively, reported for the last ten (10) business days immediately preceding the Determination Date.
(b) If the Companys Common Stock is not traded on the American Stock Exchange or another national exchange or on the Nasdaq but is traded on the NASD OTC Bulletin Board, then the mean of the average of the closing bid and asked prices reported for the last ten (10) business days immediately preceding the Determination Date.
(c) Except as provided in clause (d) below, if the Companys Common Stock is not publicly traded, then as the Holder and the Company agree or in the absence of agreement by arbitration in accordance with the rules then in effect of the American Arbitration Association, before a single arbitrator to be chosen by the Company and the Holder from a panel of persons qualified by education and training to pass on the matter to be decided.
(d) If the Determination Date is the date of a liquidation, dissolution or winding up, or any event deemed to be a liquidation, dissolution or winding up pursuant to the Companys charter, then all amounts to be payable per share to holders of the Common Stock pursuant to the charter in the event of such liquidation, dissolution or winding up, plus all other amounts to be payable per share in respect of the Common Stock in liquidation under the charter, assuming for the purposes of this clause (d) that all of the shares of Common Stock then issuable upon exercise of the Warrant are outstanding at the Determination Date.
1.3. Company Acknowledgment. The Company will, at the time of the exercise of this Warrant, upon the request of the holder hereof acknowledge in writing its continuing obligation to afford to such holder any rights to which such holder shall continue to be entitled after such exercise in accordance with the provisions of this Warrant. If the holder shall fail to make any such request, such failure shall not affect the continuing obligation of the Company to afford to such holder any such rights.
1.4. Trustee for Warrant Holders. In the event that a bank or trust company shall have been appointed as trustee for the holders of this Warrant pursuant to Subsection 3.2, such bank or trust company shall have all the powers and duties of a warrant agent (as hereinafter described) and shall accept, in its own name for the account of the Company or such successor person as may be entitled thereto, all amounts otherwise payable to the Company or such successor, as the case may be, on exercise of this Warrant pursuant to this Section 1.
2. Procedure for Exercise.
2.1. Delivery of Stock Certificates, Etc., on Exercise. The Company agrees that the shares of Common Stock purchased upon exercise of this Warrant shall be deemed to be issued to the Holder as the record owner of such shares as of the close of business on the date on which this Warrant shall have been surrendered and payment made for such shares in accordance herewith. As soon as practicable after the exercise of this Warrant in full or in part, and in any event within three (3) business days thereafter, the Company at its expense (including the payment by it of any applicable issue taxes) will cause to be issued in the name of and delivered to the Holder, or as such Holder (upon payment by such Holder of any applicable transfer taxes) may direct in compliance with applicable securities laws, a certificate or certificates for the number of duly and validly issued, fully paid and nonassessable shares of Common Stock (or Other Securities) to which such Holder shall be entitled on such exercise, plus, in lieu of any fractional share to which such holder would otherwise be entitled, cash equal to such fraction multiplied by the then Fair Market Value of one full share, together with any other stock or other securities and property (including cash, where applicable) to which such Holder is entitled upon such exercise pursuant to Section 1 or otherwise.
2.2. Exercise. Payment may be made in cash or by certified or official bank check payable to the order of the Company equal to the applicable aggregate Exercise Price for the number of Common Shares specified in such Exercise Notice (as such exercise number shall be adjusted to reflect any adjustment in the total number of shares of Common Stock issuable to the Holder per the terms of this Warrant) and the Holder shall thereupon be entitled to receive the number of duly authorized, validly issued, fully-paid and non-assessable shares of Common Stock (or Other Securities) determined as provided herein.
3. Effect of Reorganization, Etc.; Adjustment of Exercise Price.
3.1. Reorganization, Consolidation, Merger, Etc. In case at any time or from time to time, the Company shall (a) effect a reorganization, (b) consolidate with or merge into any other person, or (c) transfer all or substantially all of its properties or assets to any other person under any plan or arrangement contemplating the dissolution of the Company, then, in each such case, as a condition to the consummation of such a transaction, proper and adequate provision shall be made by the Company whereby the Holder of this Warrant, on the exercise hereof as provided in Section 1 at any time after the consummation of such reorganization, consolidation or merger or the effective date of such dissolution, as the case may be, shall receive, in lieu of the Common Stock (or Other Securities) issuable on such exercise prior to
such consummation or such effective date, the stock and other securities and property (including cash) to which such Holder would have been entitled upon such consummation or in connection with such dissolution, as the case may be, if such Holder had so exercised this Warrant, immediately prior thereto, all subject to further adjustment thereafter as provided in Section 4.
3.2. Dissolution. In the event of any dissolution of the Company following the transfer of all or substantially all of its properties or assets, the Company, concurrently with any distributions made to holders of its Common Stock, shall, upon exercise of this Warrant, at its expense deliver or cause to be delivered to the Holder the stock and other securities and property (including cash, where applicable) receivable by the Holder of this Warrant pursuant to Section 3.1, or, if the Holder shall so instruct the Company, to a bank or trust company specified by the Holder and having its principal office in New York, NY as trustee for the Holder of this Warrant (the Trustee).
3.3. Continuation of Terms. Upon any reorganization, consolidation, merger or transfer (and any dissolution following any transfer) referred to in this Section 3, this Warrant shall continue in full force and effect and the terms hereof shall be applicable to the shares of stock and other securities and property receivable on the exercise of this Warrant after the consummation of such reorganization, consolidation or merger or the effective date of dissolution following any such transfer, as the case may be, and shall be binding upon the issuer of any such stock or other securities, including, in the case of any such transfer, the person acquiring all or substantially all of the properties or assets of the Company, whether or not such person shall have expressly assumed the terms of this Warrant as provided in Section 4. In the event this Warrant does not continue in full force and effect after the consummation of the transactions described in this Section 3, then, upon exercise of this Warrant, the Companys securities and property (including cash, where applicable) receivable by the Holder of this Warrant will be delivered to the Holder or the Trustee as contemplated by Section 3.2.
4. Extraordinary Events Regarding Common Stock. In the event that the Company shall (a) issue additional shares of the Common Stock as a dividend or other distribution on outstanding Common Stock or any preferred stock issued by the Company, (b) subdivide its outstanding shares of Common Stock, or (c) combine its outstanding shares of the Common Stock into a smaller number of shares of the Common Stock (each of the preceding clauses (a) through (c), inclusive, an Event), then, on the occurrence of each such event, the number of shares of Common Stock that the Holder shall thereafter be entitled to receive, on the exercise hereof as provided in Section 1, shall be increased or decreased to a number determined by multiplying the number of shares of Common Stock that would, immediately prior to the occurrence of such Event, be issuable upon the exercise of this Warrant by a fraction of which (a) the numerator is the number of issued and outstanding shares of Common Stock immediately after the occurrence of such Event, and (b) the denominator is the number of issued and outstanding shares of Common Stock immediately prior to the occurrence of such Event.
5. Certificate as to Adjustments. In each case of any adjustment or readjustment in the shares of Common Stock (or Other Securities) issuable on the exercise of this Warrant, the Company at its expense will promptly cause its Chief Financial Officer or other appropriate designee to compute such adjustment or readjustment in accordance with the terms of this Warrant and prepare a certificate setting forth such adjustment or readjustment and showing in
detail the facts upon which such adjustment or readjustment is based, including a statement of (a) the consideration received or receivable by the Company for any additional shares of Common Stock (or Other Securities) issued or sold or deemed to have been issued or sold, (b) the number of shares of Common Stock (or Other Securities) outstanding or deemed to be outstanding, and (c) the Exercise Price and the number of shares of Common Stock to be received upon exercise of this Warrant, in effect immediately prior to such adjustment or readjustment and as adjusted or readjusted as provided in this Warrant. The Company will forthwith mail a copy of each such certificate to the holder of this Warrant and any Warrant agent of the Company (appointed pursuant to Section 11 hereof).
6. Reservation of Stock, Etc., Issuable on Exercise of Warrant. The Company will at all times reserve and keep available, solely for issuance and delivery on the exercise of this Warrant, shares of Common Stock (or Other Securities) from time to time issuable on the exercise of this Warrant.
7. Assignment; Exchange of Warrant. Subject to compliance with applicable securities laws, this Warrant, and the rights evidenced hereby, may be transferred by any registered holder hereof (a Transferor) in whole or in part. On the surrender for exchange of this Warrant, with the Transferors endorsement in the form of Exhibit B attached hereto (the Transferor Endorsement Form) and together with evidence reasonably satisfactory to the Company demonstrating compliance with applicable securities laws, which shall include, without limitation, the provision of a legal opinion from the Transferors counsel (at the Companys expense) that such transfer is exempt from the registration requirements of applicable securities laws, the Company at its expense (but with payment by the Transferor of any applicable transfer taxes) will issue and deliver to or on the order of the Transferor thereof a new Warrant of like tenor, in the name of the Transferor and/or the transferee(s) specified in such Transferor Endorsement Form (each a Transferee), calling in the aggregate on the face or faces thereof for the number of shares of Common Stock called for on the face or faces of the Warrant so surrendered by the Transferor.
8. Replacement of Warrant. On receipt of evidence reasonably satisfactory to the Company of the loss, theft, destruction or mutilation of this Warrant and, in the case of any such loss, theft or destruction of this Warrant, on delivery of an indemnity agreement or security reasonably satisfactory in form and amount to the Company or, in the case of any such mutilation, on surrender and cancellation of this Warrant, the Company at its expense will execute and deliver, in lieu thereof, a new Warrant of like tenor.
9. Registration Rights. The Holder of this Warrant has been granted certain registration rights by the Company. These registration rights are set forth in a Registration Rights Agreement entered into by the Company and Holder dated effective as of July 31, 2006, as the same may be amended, modified or supplemented from time to time.
10. Maximum Exercise. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, in no event shall the Holder be entitled to exercise any portion of this Warrant in excess of that portion of this Warrant upon exercise of which the sum of (1) the number of shares of Common Stock beneficially owned by the Holder and its Affiliates (other than shares of Common Stock which may be deemed beneficially owned through the ownership of the unexercised portion of the
Warrant or the unexercised or unconverted portion of any other security of the Holder subject to a limitation on conversion analogous to the limitations contained herein) and (2) the number of shares of Common Stock issuable upon the exercise of the portion of this Warrant with respect to which the determination of this proviso is being made, would result in beneficial ownership by the Holder and its Affiliates of any amount greater than 4.99% of the then outstanding shares of Common Stock (whether or not, at the time of such exercise, the Holder and its Affiliates beneficially own more than 4.99% of the then outstanding shares of Common Stock). As used herein, the term Affiliate means any person or entity that, directly or indirectly through one or more intermediaries, controls or is controlled by or is under common control with a person or entity, as such terms are used in and construed under Rule 144 under the Securities Act. For purposes of the proviso to the second preceding sentence, beneficial ownership shall be determined in accordance with Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and Regulations 13D-G thereunder, except as otherwise provided in clause (1) of such proviso. The limitations set forth herein (x) may be waived by the Holder upon provision of no less than seventy-five (75) days prior notice to the Company and (y) shall automatically become null and void following notice to the Company upon the occurrence and during the continuance of an Event of Default under and as defined in either the Note made by the Company to the Holder dated February 22, 2005 or the Note made by the Company to the Holder dated May 31, 2005 (as such Notes are amended, modified or supplemented from time to time).
11. Warrant Agent. The Company may, by written notice to the each Holder of the Warrant, appoint an agent for the purpose of issuing Common Stock (or Other Securities) on the exercise of this Warrant pursuant to Section 1, exchanging this Warrant pursuant to Section 7, and replacing this Warrant pursuant to Section 8, or any of the foregoing, and thereafter any such issuance, exchange or replacement, as the case may be, shall be made at such office by such agent.
12. Transfer on the Companys Books. Until this Warrant is transferred on the books of the Company, the Company may treat the registered Holder hereof as the absolute owner hereof for all purposes, notwithstanding any notice to the contrary.
13. Notices, Etc. All notices and other communications from the Company to the Holder of this Warrant shall be mailed by first class registered or certified mail, postage prepaid, at such address as may have been furnished to the Company in writing by such Holder or, until any such Holder furnishes to the Company an address, then to, and at the address of, the last Holder of this Warrant who has so furnished an address to the Company.
14. Miscellaneous. This Warrant and any term hereof may be changed, waived, discharged or terminated only by an instrument in writing signed by the party against which enforcement of such change, waiver, discharge or termination is sought. This Warrant shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of State of New York without regard to principles of conflicts of laws. Any action brought concerning the transactions contemplated by this Warrant shall be brought only in the state courts of New York or in the federal courts located in the state of New York; provided, however, that the Holder may choose to waive this provision and bring an action outside the state of New York. The individuals executing this Warrant on behalf of the Company agree to submit to the jurisdiction of such courts and waive trial by jury. The prevailing party shall be entitled to recover from the other party its reasonable attorneys
fees and costs. In the event that any provision of this Warrant is invalid or unenforceable under any applicable statute or rule of law, then such provision shall be deemed inoperative to the extent that it may conflict therewith and shall be deemed modified to conform with such statute or rule of law. Any such provision which may prove invalid or unenforceable under any law shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of this Warrant. The headings in this Warrant are for purposes of reference only, and shall not limit or otherwise affect any of the terms hereof. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision hereof shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision hereof. The Company acknowledges that legal counsel participated in the preparation of this Warrant and, therefore, stipulates that the rule of construction that ambiguities are to be resolved against the drafting party shall not be applied in the interpretation of this Warrant to favor any party against the other party.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Company has executed this Warrant as of the date first written above.
|BIODELIVERY SCIENCES INTERNATIONAL, INC.|
|Name:||Mark A. Sirgo|
|Title:||President and CEO|
[Signature Page to 62,887 share Warrant, dated July 31, 2006]
FORM OF SUBSCRIPTION
(To Be Signed Only On Exercise Of Warrant)
|TO:||BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc.|
|Attention: Chief Financial Officer|
The undersigned, pursuant to the provisions set forth in the attached Warrant (No. ), hereby irrevocably elects to purchase shares of the Common Stock covered by such Warrant.
The undersigned herewith makes payment of the full Exercise Price for such shares at the price per share provided for in such Warrant, which is $ .
The undersigned requests that the certificates for such shares be issued in the name of, and delivered to whose address is .
The undersigned represents and warrants that all offers and sales by the undersigned of the securities issuable upon exercise of the within Warrant shall be made pursuant to registration of the Common Stock under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act) or pursuant to an exemption from registration under the Securities Act.
(Signature must conform to name of holder as
specified on the face of the Warrant)
FORM OF TRANSFEROR ENDORSEMENT
(To Be Signed Only On Transfer Of Warrant)
For value received, the undersigned hereby sells, assigns, and transfers unto the person(s) named below under the heading Transferees the right represented by the within Warrant to purchase the percentage and number of shares of Common Stock of BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. into which the within Warrant relates specified under the headings Percentage Transferred and Number Transferred, respectively, opposite the name(s) of such person(s) and appoints each such person Attorney to transfer its respective right on the books of BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. with full power of substitution in the premises.
(Signature must conform to name of holder as
specified on the face of the Warrant)
|SIGNED IN THE PRESENCE OF:|
|ACCEPTED AND AGREED:|