PURSUANT TO THE
MASONITE WORLDWIDE HOLDINGS INC. 2009 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
* * * * *
Number of Restricted Stock Units granted:
* * * * *
THIS RESTRICTED STOCK UNIT AWARD AGREEMENT (this Agreement), dated as of the Grant Date specified above, is entered into by and between Masonite Worldwide Holdings Inc., a British Columbia corporation (the Company), and the Participant specified above, pursuant to the Masonite Worldwide Holdings Inc. 2009 Equity Incentive Plan (the Plan), which is administered by the Committee; and
WHEREAS, it has been determined under the Plan that it would be in the best interests of the Company to grant the Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) provided herein to the Participant.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the mutual covenants and promises hereinafter set forth and for other good and valuable consideration, the parties hereto hereby mutually covenant and agree as follows:
1. Incorporation By Reference; Plan Document Receipt. This Agreement is subject in all respects to the terms and provisions of the Plan (including, without limitation, any amendments thereto adopted at any time and from time to time unless such amendments are expressly intended not to apply to the grant of the RSUs hereunder), all of which terms and provisions are made a part of and incorporated in this Agreement as if they were each expressly set forth herein. The Participant hereby acknowledges receipt of a true copy of the Plan and that the Participant has read the Plan carefully and fully understands its content. In the event of any conflict between the terms of this Agreement and the terms of the Plan, the terms of the Plan shall control.
2. Grant of Restricted Stock Unit Award. The Company hereby grants to the Participant, as of the Grant Date specified above, the number of RSUs specified above. Except as otherwise provided by the Plan, the Participant agrees and understands that nothing contained in this Agreement provides, or is intended to provide, the Participant with any protection against potential future dilution of the Participants interest in the Company for any reason. The Participant shall not have the rights of a stockholder in respect of the Shares underlying this Award until such Shares are delivered to the Participant in accordance with Section 4.
(a) General. Except as otherwise provided in this Section 3, fifty percent (50%) of the RSUs subject to this grant shall vest on the Grant Date, with the balance vesting in three equal installments on the first, second and third anniversaries of the Grant Date; provided that the Participant is a member of the Board of Directors of the Company on each such vesting date.
(b) Certain Terminations. All unvested RSUs shall immediately become vested upon a Termination due to (i) the Participants death, (ii) the Participants Disability or (iii) an involuntary removal of the Participant from the Board prior to the end of the Participants term for a reason other than Cause.
(c) Change in Control. All unvested RSUs shall immediately become vested upon a Change in Control; provided the Participant is serving as a member of the Board immediately prior to the consummation of the Change in Control transaction.
(d) Forfeiture. Subject to Section 3(b), all unvested RSUs shall be immediately forfeited upon the Participants Termination for any reason.
4. Delivery of Shares.
(a) General. Subject to Section 4(b) and Section 15.18 of the Plan, the Company shall deliver to the Participant (i) fifty percent (50%) of Shares underlying vested RSUs on the third anniversary of the Grant Date and (ii) the remaining fifty percent (50%) of the Shares underlying the vested RSUs on the fourth anniversary of the Grant Date; provided, however, all Shares underlying the vested RSUs, to the extent not previously delivered, shall be delivered to the Participant upon a Change in Control or the 30th day following a Termination. In connection with the delivery of the Shares pursuant to this Agreement, the Participant agrees to execute any documents reasonably requested by the Company. In no event shall a Participant be entitled to receive any Shares with respect to any unvested or forfeited portion of the RSU.
(b) Blackout Periods. If the Participant is subject to any Company blackout policy or other trading restriction imposed by the Company on the date such distribution would otherwise be made pursuant to Section 4(a), such distribution shall be instead made on the earlier of (i) the date the Participant is not subject to any such policy or restriction and (ii) the later of (A) the end of the calendar year in which such distribution would otherwise have been made and (B) a date that is immediately prior to 2.5 months following the date such distribution would otherwise have been made.
5. Dividends and Other Distributions. The Participant shall be entitled to receive all dividends and other distributions paid with respect to the Shares underlying the RSUs, provided that any such dividends or other distributions will be subject to the same vesting requirements as the underlying RSUs and shall be paid at the time the Shares are delivered pursuant to Section 4. If any dividends or distributions are paid in Shares with respect to unvested Shares, the Shares shall be deposited with the Company and shall be subject to the same restrictions on transferability and forfeitability as the RSUs with respect to which they were paid.
6. Conditions. As a condition to the receipt of this RSU award, the Participant acknowledges and agrees to be bound by the terms of Annex A attached hereto, which is incorporated in, and made a part of, this Agreement.
7. Restrictive Covenants. As a condition to the receipt of the RSUs and/or the delivery of Shares hereunder, the Participant agrees as follows
(a) Confidentiality. The Company and the Participant acknowledge and agree that during the Participants service with the Company, the Participant will have access to and may assist in developing Confidential Information and will occupy a position of trust and confidence with respect to the affairs and business of the Company and its Affiliates. The Participant agrees that the obligations set forth in this Section 7 are necessary to preserve the confidential and proprietary nature of Confidential Information and to protect the Company and its Affiliates against harmful solicitation of employees and customers and other actions by the Participant that would result in serious adverse consequences for the Company and its Affiliates.
(b) Non-Disclosure. During and after the Participants service with the Company, the Participant will not use, disclose, copy or transfer any Confidential Information other than as authorized in writing by the Company or within the scope of the Participants duties with the Company as determined reasonably and in good faith by the Participant. Anything herein to the contrary notwithstanding, the provisions of this Section 7(b) shall not apply (i) when disclosure is required by law or by any court, arbitrator, mediator or administrative or legislative body (including any committee thereof) with actual or apparent jurisdiction to order the Participant to disclose or make accessible any information; provided that prior to any such disclosure the Participant shall provide the Company with reasonable notice of the requirements to disclose and an opportunity to object to such disclosure and the Participant shall cooperate with the Company in filing such objection; or (ii) as to information that becomes generally known to the public or within the relevant trade or industry other than due to the Participants violation of this Section 7(b).
(c) Materials. The Participant will use Confidential Information only for normal and customary use in the Companys business, as determined reasonably and in good faith by the Company. The Participant will return to the Company all Confidential Information and copies thereof and all other property of the Company or any of its Affiliate at any time upon the request of the Company and in any event immediately after termination of Participants service with the Company. The Participant agrees to identify and return to the Company any copies of any Confidential Information after the Participant ceases to serve the Company. Anything to the contrary notwithstanding, nothing in this Section 7 shall prevent the Participant from retaining a home computer (provided all Confidential Information has been removed), papers and other materials of a personal nature, including diaries, calendars and Rolodexes, information relating to his/her compensation or relating to reimbursement of expenses, information that may be needed for tax purposes, and copies of plans, programs and agreements relating to his/her service with the Company.
(d) No Solicitation or Hiring of Employees. During the period commencing on the Grant Date and ending on the first anniversary of the Participants Termination, the Participant shall not solicit, entice, persuade or induce any individual who is employed by the
Company or its Affiliates (or who was so employed within twelve (12) months prior to the Participants action) to terminate or refrain from continuing such employment or to become employed by or enter into contractual relations with any other individual or entity other than the Company or its Affiliates, and the Participant shall not hire, directly or indirectly, for himself or any other person, as an employee, consultant or otherwise, any such person. Anything to the contrary notwithstanding, the Company agrees that (i) the Participants responding to an unsolicited request from any former employee of the Company for advice on employment matters; and (ii) the Participants responding to an unsolicited request for an employment reference regarding any former employee of the Company from such former employee, or from a third party, by providing a reference setting forth his/her personal views about such former employee, shall not be deemed a violation of this Section 7(d); in each case, to the extent the Participant does not encourage the former employee to become employed by a company or business that employs the Participant or with which the Participant is otherwise associated (including, but not limited to, association as a sole proprietor, owner, employer, partner, principal, investor, joint venturer, shareholder, associate, employee, member, consultant, contractor, director or otherwise).
(e) Conflicting Obligations and Rights. The Participant agrees to inform the Company of any apparent conflicts between the Participants service for the Company and any obligations the Participant may have to preserve the confidentiality of anothers proprietary information or related materials before using the same on the Companys behalf. The Company shall receive such disclosures in confidence and consistent with the objectives of avoiding any conflict of obligations and rights or the appearance of any conflict of interest.
(f) Enforcement. The Participant acknowledges that in the event of any breach or threatened breach of this Section 7, the business interests of the Company and its Affiliates will be irreparably injured, the full extent of the damages to the Company and its Affiliates will be impossible to ascertain, monetary damages will not be an adequate remedy for the Company and its Affiliates, and the Company will be entitled to enforce this Agreement by a temporary, preliminary and/or permanent injunction or other equitable relief, without the necessity of posting bond or security, which the Participant expressly waives. The Participant understands that the Company may waive some of the requirements expressed in this Agreement, but that such a waiver to be effective must be made in writing and should not in any way be deemed a waiver of the Companys right to enforce any other requirements or provisions of this Agreement. The Participant agrees that each of the Participants obligations specified in this Agreement is a separate and independent covenant and that the unenforceability of any of them shall not preclude the enforcement of any other covenants in this Agreement.
(a) Restriction on Transfers. Except as provided in Section 8(b) below, all RSUs, and any rights or interests therein, (i) shall not be sold, exchanged, transferred, assigned or otherwise disposed of in any way at any time by the Participant (or any beneficiary(ies) of the Participant), other than by testamentary disposition by the Participant or by the laws of descent and distribution, (ii) shall not be pledged or encumbered in any way at any time by the Participant (or any beneficiary(ies) of the Participant) and (iii) shall not be subject to execution, attachment or similar legal process. Any attempt to sell, exchange, pledge, transfer, assign, encumber or otherwise dispose of this RSU, or the levy of any execution, attachment or similar legal process upon this RSU, contrary to the terms of this Agreement and/or the Plan, shall be null and void and without legal force or effect.
(b) Permissible Transfers. During the Participants lifetime, the Participant may, with the consent of the Committee, transfer without consideration all or any portion of this RSU to one or more members of his/her Immediate Family, to a trust established for the exclusive benefit of one or more members of his/her Immediate Family, to a partnership in which all the partners are members of his/her Immediate Family, or to a limited liability company in which all the members are members of his/her Immediate Family.
(c) Company Rights. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, the Participant, and any permitted transferee, shall be subject to the Companys call rights and rights of first refusal set forth in Annex A.
9. Entire Agreement; Amendment. This Agreement, together with the Plan contains the entire agreement between the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter contained herein, and supersedes all prior agreements or prior understandings, whether written or oral, between the parties relating to such subject matter. The Committee shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to modify or amend this Agreement from time to time in accordance with and as provided in the Plan. This Agreement may also be modified or amended by a writing signed by both the Company and the Participant. The Company shall give written notice to the Participant of any such modification or amendment of this Agreement as soon as practicable after the adoption thereof.
10. Acknowledgment of Participant. This award of RSUs does not entitle Participant to any benefit other than that granted under this Agreement. Participant understands and accepts that the benefits granted under this Agreement are entirely at the discretion of the Company and that the Company retains the right to amend or terminate this Agreement and the Plan at any time, at its sole discretion and without notice.
11. Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Florida, without reference to the principles of conflict of laws thereof.
12. Termination. Any questions as to whether and when there has been a Termination and the cause of such Termination shall be determined in the sole discretion of the Committee. Nothing in this Agreement shall interfere with or limit in any way the right of the Company to terminate the Participants service at any time, for any reason and with or without cause.
13. Notices. Any Exercise Notice or other notice which may be required or permitted under this Agreement shall be in writing, and shall be delivered in person or via facsimile transmission, overnight courier service or certified mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid, properly addressed as follows:
(a) If such notice is to the Company, to the attention of the General Counsel of the Company or at such other address as the Company, by notice to the Participant, shall designate in writing from time to time.
(b) If such notice is to the Participant, at his/her address as shown on the Companys records, or at such other address as the Participant, by notice to the Company, shall designate in writing from time to time.
14. Compliance with Laws. This issuance of RSUs (and the Shares underlying the RSUs) pursuant to this Agreement shall be subject to, and shall comply with, any applicable requirements of any foreign and U.S. federal and state securities laws, rules and regulations (including, without limitation, the provisions of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, the 1934 Act and in each case any respective rules and regulations promulgated thereunder) and any other law or regulation applicable thereto. The Company shall not be obligated to issue this RSU or any of the Shares pursuant to this Agreement if any such issuance would violate any such requirements.
15. Binding Agreement; Assignment. This Agreement shall inure to the benefit of, be binding upon, and be enforceable by the Company and its successors and assigns. The Participant shall not assign (except as provided by Section 8 hereof) any part of this Agreement without the prior express written consent of the Company.
16. Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in one or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed to be an original, but all of which shall constitute one and the same instrument.
17. Headings. The titles and headings of the various sections of this Agreement have been inserted for convenience of reference only and shall not be deemed to be a part of this Agreement.
18. Further Assurances. Each party hereto shall do and perform (or shall cause to be done and performed) all such further acts and shall execute and deliver all such other agreements, certificates, instruments and documents as either party hereto reasonably may request in order to carry out the intent and accomplish the purposes of this Agreement and the Plan and the consummation of the transactions contemplated thereunder.
19. Severability. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provisions of this Agreement, in any jurisdiction shall not affect the validity, legality or enforceability of the remainder of this Agreement in such jurisdiction or the validity, legality or enforceability of any provision of this Agreement in any other jurisdiction, it being intended that all rights and obligations of the parties hereunder shall be enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.
[Remainder of Page Intentionally Left Blank]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have executed this Agreement as of the date first written above.
|MASONITE WORLDWIDE HOLDINGS INC.|
|Social Security Number:|